We began with revisiting our audit of the account, implementing some quick-wins which would provide Birchbox with immediate results. We then restructured the account in a way which allowed us more control over the keywords.
Initially, the improvements which delivered the most impact were as follows:
- CPC analysis, which clearly showed certain clicks were being overpaid for, and some core keywords weren’t showing at all. We overhauled the bidding strategies and realigned budgets for maximum visibility.
- Simplifying the account structure, so we could easily distinguish top-performing keywords and ensure they’re never limited for budget. This reduced keyword overlap too.
- Refreshing all ad copy and extensions, to make them super relevant to each keyword, whilst promoting key benefits and a clear call to action.
From there, we had a solid base to start optimising our non-brand keyword performance. Some of the key drivers of growth came from making use of similar audiences, smart display and Gmail ads.
- We used Similar Audiences targeting to prospect to people modelled off our most valuable customers.
- We used smart display as a form of branding, making use of CPA bidding to only pay when a subscription met our target.
- Gmail campaigns gave us freedom to talk to our new and existing customers with tailored messaging and offers.