Google’s Inside Search event is going to kick off shortly, Amit Singhal will probably reveal some new features, SEOs will panic, polar ice caps will melt and Pandas will become extinct. Last time an event of this scale was held we saw the unveiling of Instant Search.
Here is a list of facts about Google Search:
- Google deals with more than 1 billion queries a day from all around the world returning results on an average of 0.25 seconds.
- Google offers free translation in 58 languages and 3,306 language pairs.
- Google has 132 interface languages, 137 if you count 5 “fake” languages like Elmer Duff and Swedish Chef.
- Google search is available on 181 international domains.
- More than half searches come from outside United States.
- Every query has to travel on average 1,500 miles to get the answer back to user.
- Google spends 1,000,0000 computing hours to prepare index.
- More than 1,000 man-years have gone into developing the Google search algorithm.
- Over the past year, Google has increased its index size by billions of documents. Google’s Caffeine index is than 100 million gigabytes.
- 20% of unique queries are new to Google every day.
- Since 2003 Google has answered 450 billion new unique queries, searches that it has never seen before.
- Instant Preview loads in 1/10th of a second on average.
- During 2010 Google carried out over 6000 Search Experiments.
- During 2010 Google improved its core algorithm by making over 500 changes to it.
- There are over 200 signals, including PageRrank, that together compute the best search results.